The human attention span is now 8.25 seconds, which is down from 12 seconds in 2000. This means you have 8 seconds to convince the user that they will find a product or service that solves their pain point, provide a specific benefit, and why they should stay on your site to possible buy from you versus going to another competitors site. No pressure!
When consumers seek out information online, they are wanting immediate and relevant results that help them feel accomplished. Today, users are overwhelmed with choices on products and services and with the world getting smaller, thanks to this technology, consumers can be picky on their results.
That means your website must create an experience that not only engages but keeps users on your pages. Most consumers give your landing page roughly five to seven seconds to interpret and decide whether they will move onto another site.
Here are some simple rules to create that amazing consumer experience on your website:
- Focus on the key elements and talking points on the website. No need to overwhelm the user with everything your company offers. Instead, get them to move through the website to learn more about you.
- The need for speed! Speed is one of the most important elements of an online experience for users. Visitors on your site want to find what they are looking for quickly. If your site is slow to load you visitors will not wait and will move on to the next site. Google has a free tool to test the speed of your site:https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/
- Being interactive is great, if you keep it simple. Remember, most people will be using their fingers to navigate and you want to have them avoid pushing or clicking too much. Instead opt for sliders or drop down menus to get them the information.
- The shift to mobile and tables usage is growing daily. If your site is not mobile friendly (aka responsive), you are making it hard for your visitors to find what they are looking for. Visitors are 5 times more likely to leave a website that is not mobile friendly. Google has also stated that any site that is not mobile, could be penalized in ranking:https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/6196932?hl=en
- Help guide them, without being forceful, to where you want them to eventually land. If you’re selling items, allow them to rotate the product on their smart device. If you’re selling a service, guide them to a fun video to learn more about your company.
- Don’t get wordy: Our attention span is now 8 seconds or less and users are not going to read a page with 1000 words. Actually, the sight of a page with a large amount of wording will cause a visitor to leave. Keep content relative for SEO purposes, but get to the point and use video any time you can.
- Have fun. Don’t get caught up in telling a consumer everything. If they feel like they’ve done the work themselves, especially while being slightly entertained, you’re probably going to land yourself a new client.
Take those precious seven seconds and get that user to feel good, feel important, and feel like they’re ready to interact with you. Their experience within your website will make all the difference when it comes to the success of your business.